Accessible Location for Visitors
The Osshinji Temple is located in Kagashima, Gifu City along the historical Nakasendo Trail. A large parking ground is available. From JR Gifu Station, take a Gifu Bus and get off at the “Kagashima Kōbō Mae” stop. It only takes 5 minutes to get to the temple from this bus stop.
Map and Address
The Osshinji Temple (Kagashima Kōbō)
Kagashima Naka 2-8-1, Gifu City, Gifu Prefecture, 500-0124, JAPAN
Reception Hours: 9:00-12:00
Check the route to the temple on Google Map
Obeni-no-watashi (Obeni Ferry Service)
Until through the Edo Period (1603-1868), ferry services were extensively available as a means of transportation across Japan, carrying passengers on boats across large rivers. We can still find one of such services available today in Gifu City as part of a Prefectural Road, Monju Chaya Shinden Line. This ferry service is called “Obeni-no-watashi” and utilized by many visitors to the Osshinji Temple, especially on the 21st of every month when ennichi festivals are held at the temple.
Travelling by Car
Drive up north from the Yabuta intersection of National Route 21 and Gifu Loop Line. Turn left at the Kagashima-ōhashi-minami intersection located before Kagashima-ōhashi Bridge. Go straight until you reach a T-intersection and turn left there. Drive until you find a stone pillar with an inscription that reads the “Osshinji Temple” and turn right there.
- Approximately 15 minutes by car from JR Gifu Station
- Approximately 5 minutes by car from JR Nishi-Gifu Station
- Free parking lots available up to 80 cars
Check the route to the main parking lots on Google Map
Travelling by Bus
Get off at the “Kagashima Kōbō Mae” stop.
A few bus lines are available to access the temple from JR Gifu Station and Meitetsu Gifu Station.
From the JR Gifu Station Bus Terminal
- Platform No. 6: Kagashima-Ichihashi Line (W15) bound for Ichihashi
- Platform No. 7: Gifu-Takatomi Line (G51) bound for Nishi-Kagashima
- Platform No. 10: Kagashima-Ichihashi Line (K15) bound for Ichihashi
From the Meitetsu Gifu Station Bus Terminal
- Platform No. 1: Kagashima-Ichihashi Line (W15) bound for Ichihashi
- Platform No. 3: Kagashima-Ichihashi Line (G51) bound for Nishi-Kagashima
- Platform No. 5: Kagashima-Ichihashi Line (K15) bound for Ichihashi
From the “Kagashima Kōbō Mae” bus stop to the temple
This video explains the route from the “Kagashima Kōbō Mae” bus stop to the temple. Please watch out for traffic as you walk along this narrow path.
Travelling by Train
The nearest station to the temple is “JR Nishi-Gifu Station” on the JR Tokaidō Line. It is equipped with a traffic circle on the north side.
- Approximately 15 minutes on foot from JR Nishi-Gifu Station
- Approximately 5 minutes by taxi from JR Nishi-Gifu Station
Learn More about the Osshinji Temple